Pressures of becoming a Parent

Being a parent is a huge task. You will never know it unless you become one. Right now, I'm really confused as to what kind of discipline should I give to my three-year-old kid. Is it too early to discipline her or is it just right to begin punishing her for her mistakes? Does she already know what's right from wrong? So many advices from relatives and friends. One even told me to consult a child psychologist. Ultimately I think, I will be the one to know, as a Mother, what techniques are best suited for my child. Because each child is unique. One system could work for a child but will not work for other children. I've found this [LINK=http://www.parentingtoddlers.com/toddlerdiscipline.html]link[/LINK] once when I was finding the answers, not again, in the internet.

I'm praising my mother now for raising me and my brother, gracefully. I think. Because it is a really a tall task. Now I know why my mother always say to me when she was in the middle of scolding us that when the time comes that we become a parent, we will understand how hard it is to raise a child. I thought to myself, I will get a maid to help me. I thought it was that easy. But it's not. Even if I did had one, it didn't make it anyway easier. Because the most IMPORTANT thing that I've learned from my mom is the BOND that we had as a mother and child. The CONNECTION that will never falter what happens. The LOVE that no experts or child psychologist could beat in child therapy. Because whenever you establish that connection to your child, it will be second-nature to you to understand her needs or wants, to know her whims or caprices and as a result to be able to give her the right discipline that will soon shape her as she matures. Having a maid or having someone in the middle to do that for you isn't really helping at all.

I'm still struggling at this point in parenting, understandably, because I'm a first-time mother. But I know that it's never too late to be in touch with my kids and to know them deeply. One of my friend who became a mother herself, congratulated me because she was amazed at how I was able to manage having a kid and having two for that matter, while my mother was away and was not there to guide me. That's why the Lord is so great because He knows what to do. He created mother's instincts. ;)

Comments